Re: no whois info ?

  • From: Janet Sullivan
  • Date: Thu Dec 09 22:34:49 2004

I wonder what % of domains that have their whois info hidden or "private" are throwaway spam domains... Some number approaching 100% I would bet. It would be nice to somehow incorporate this into a SpamAssassin check somehow.
Please don't, there are legitimate reasons to have private domain names. One of the main reasons my domains are private is I got tired of the spam and direct snail mail I got to the contact addresses. Also, some people, like incest survivors, feel better not having their name out there as an owner of a related support site.

Taking away the usefulness of private registrations won't stop the spammers. It will just impact the privacy of the regular folks.