Re: ASN and Peering Problem

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Dec 08 15:23:28 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 2:59 PM, Adi Linden wrote:

We currently have two /19 that we advertise on a single ASN. A client
would like to obtain /23 or /22 from us. This is not a problem, except
that their primary internet provider is someone else, other than us.
I think that they would need to have their own ASN to advertise their
portion of our ip space to their peers.

My question is, should we provide the ASN or should they apply for an ASN?
They should.

What is the minimum block considered routable, is it reasaonable to
advertise a /23 on its own ASN?
Many people do /24s. There is no real difference between a /24 and /23 in most people's filters. A /20 may or may not get them more reachability, but as long as you accept their /23 and announce the aggregate CIDR, it should not matter.

Are there any other solutions I haven't thought of?
Yes, but they are all bad. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick

P.S. Wow, two operational posts in one day. What is happening to this list?