Re: Unflattering comments about ISPs and DDOS

  • From: Rich Kulawiec
  • Date: Mon Dec 06 19:21:41 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 04:56:49PM +0000, [email protected] wrote:
> And if enough people clean up the bots on their network,
> then a case can be made for depeering (or severely damping)
> networks that don't clean up their act.

Agreed.

But few, if any, will "clean up their act".  For instance, consider:

	http://news.com.com/2102-1034_3-5218178.html

which is a news story discussing the enormous number of spam-spewing zombies
on Comcast's network and which says (in part):

	"Based on my conversations last week, Comcast's network engineers
	would like to be more aggressive. But the marketing department
	shot down a ban on port 25 because of its circa $58 million price
	tag--so high partially because some subscribers would have to be
	told how to reconfigure their mail programs to point at Comcast's
	servers, and each phone call to the help desk costs $9."

Since Comcast has elected not to pay that hypothetical $58 million
dollar price tag, see if you can guess who is.  Those costs (whatever
they are) don't just evaporate into nothingness merely because Comcast
isn't picking up the tab.

Please note that since then, they've begun doing *some* port-25 blocking:

	http://news.com.com/2102-1038_3-5230615.html

But I can't find any evidence that they're doing anything other
than reactively blocking port 25 connections based on some usage
threshold.  And of course that's purely symptomatic treatment for the
problem-of-the-moment: it doesn't cure the disease, doesn't un-zombie
the zombies and thus it lets them do anything/everything else they want.

---Rsk