Bogon filtering (don't ban me)

  • From: J. Oquendo
  • Date: Fri Dec 03 00:55:05 2004

Considering the talk of banning going on, I was reluctant to post this,
anyhow, I wondered how many (if any) have ever thought about the aspect of
vendors deciding to implement some form of default bogon filtering on their
products. With all of the talk about DoS botnets, and issues surrounding
allocated address ranges (for whatever the purpose), I'm curious to know
why a vendor like Juniper, or Cisco, or whomever doesn't implement a
mechanism to automatically do the filtering. Wouldn't this minimize a vast
amount of issues surrounding DoS attacks?

>From an admin/user perspective, I would not mind having my equipment
implement this as long as it was manageable to add/remove addresses on the
fly. Perhaps a command line syntax:

ip bogon add add.res.s/8

or

ip bogon remove add.res.s/8

How much would easier would it be for a NAP (per-se) to have their entire
network configured properly to avoid having their network send malicious
traffic out of their net.

I thought about it over and over, and wonder why this hasn't been done.
Any care to beat me with a clue stick or two. I can understand the
arguments of not wanting a vendor to have control of some aspect of my
business, or control over my network, but correct me if I am wrong,
wouldn't this solve a heck of a lot of issues concerning network based
attacks, spam, scumware/spyware/fooware/$*something?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x51F9D78D
Fingerprint 2A48 BA18 1851 4C99

CA22 0619 DB63 F2F7 51F9 D78D
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x51F9D78D

sil @ politrix . org    http://www.politrix.org
sil @ infiltrated . net http://www.infiltrated.net

"How can we account for our present situation unless we
believe that men high in this government are concerting
to deliver us to disaster?" Joseph McCarthy "America's
Retreat from Victory"