RE: How many backbones here are filtering the makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?

  • From: Chad Skidmore
  • Date: Thu Dec 02 15:58:04 2004

- -----Original Message-----
From: Steven Champeon [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Thursday, December 02, 2004 12:22 PM
Posted To: NANOG
Conversation: How many backbones here are filtering the
makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?
Subject: Re: How many backbones here are filtering the
makelovenotspam scr eensaver site?

>>on Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:56:29PM -0500, Hannigan, Martin wrote:
>> Possibly. What will happen if the Lycos botnet gets hijacked?
>>
>> The conversations between the clients and the servers don't appear
>> to  be keyed. If a million clients got owned, it would be the
>> equivalent  of an electronic Bubonic Plague with no antidote.
>
>You mean, like the existing botnets we already know exist but are
>already under the control of spammers?
>
>What's the difference? Why is everyone so upset about Lycos and
>nobody seems to be doing much of anything about the /existing
>botnets/, which conservative estimates[1] already put at anywhere
>from 1-3K per botnet to upwards of 1-5M hosts total[2]?

Well, the primary difference is that Lycos is trying to market what
they are doing as a "good" thing in a fairly public manner. If their
vigilante efforts become accepted as "OK" then it further opens the
door for others to take the next step towards making dDOS attacks ok
as long as you feel your motivations are pure. As network operators
we all need to make sure that we enforce our AUPs and make it known
that breaking those AUPs is not ok just because you feel your motives
are pure. Most AUPs have some language that basically states that
dDOS and simlar activities are "bad" and we will take action if you
engage in said "bad" activities.

To your other point, how do you know that other botnets are not being
identified and taken down every day by network operators? I know for
a fact that they are, they just are not nearly as public as this one
so those activities go largely unacknowledged.

Regards,
Chad

Chad E Skidmore
One Eighty Networks, Inc.