Re: My yearly post about environmental monitoring devices

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Thu Dec 02 04:23:31 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 01:12 -0500, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

> I'm sure if you peruse the archives, you'll see that I post about this
> about every year. The answer to your question is 'No, I haven't found what
> I am looking for yet.'
>
> However, the quest I am on is slightly different.
>
> I am looking for a device that meets the following criteria.
>

> a) Reasonably small. This probably wouldn't be rack mounted; it'd be wall
> mounted, desk mounted, celing mounted, etc.
>
> b) Powered by PoE.
>
> c) Is SNMPable over Ethernet. NOT RS232 or serial, or anything archaic
> like that. Not MODBUS. It's 2004, people.
>
> d) Provides Temperature and Humidity.
>
> e) Has 4 or so input contact sensors (connections to AC units, etc.)
>
> f) Has 4 or so output contact sensors.

I think what you are looking for is something like this:
http://alexandria.paf.se/ietf-59/001598_G

And folks: it does IPv6 *ONLY* and was, during that ietf reachable
globally, so you could telnet into it ;)

There is this large IPv6 toy setup somewhere in Japan and they seem to
have all kinds of these devices and thus I think if you want one of
these kind of toys you will have to look into that direction...

Greets,
 Jeroen