Re: is reverse dns required? (policy question)

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Wed Dec 01 13:20:36 2004

on Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 11:27:54AM -0600, Robert Hayden wrote:

> Besides, if customers "need" it to make their mail work, choosing not to
> do it will be a good indication to your customers that another provider
> might be more supportive.
>
> Basic non-custom reverse DNS on everything is a "good thing" to put in
> place regardless.

Just a quick note: it's not a BCP yet, but it's also considered
/extremely/ friendly by mail admins and others, if you use a naming
convention for your rDNS that is easily placed into access.db and other
"right-anchored" string matching mechanisms. e.g., if you have a
dynamically assigned DSL range, and want to assign rDNS to it based on
the IP,

123-45-67-89.dsl.dyn.example.net

is a lot easier to block via rudimentary mechanisms than

dsl-dyn-123-45-67-89.example.net

which requires regular expression support due to the way sendmail deals
with periods in hostnames, etc. In the former example, I can just block
all mail from '.dyn.example.net'. In the latter, I need to check the rDNS
against a group of regular expressions for /every connection/ which is
extremely slow, if effective.

So, once you decide to provide rDNS across the board, and provide custom
(or "non-generic") rDNS for statically assigned addresses, please also make
sure that the naming convention you choose is consistent, friendly to
antispam systems, and indicative of the assignment type and/or technology
in use, to allow for more fine-tuned policy implementations.

Some good actors with sensible naming conventions:

personainc.net: all their dynamic hosts are in dyn.personainc.net

eatel.net: static are in static.eatel.net, dynamic in dynamic.eatel.net

sprint-hsd.net: static are in sta.sprint-hsd.net, dynamic in
dyn.sprint-hsd.net or or dhcp.sprint-hsd.net

Many others use 'dsl' or 'adsl' or 'cable' etc. as a "subdomain", which
is helpful but often doesn't distinguish between static and dynamic at
all; others use geographic locations which don't indicate anything useful
from an antispam policy perspective.

FWIW, 40% or more of the inbound spam mail here comes from hosts with a
generic rDNS naming convention (even after DNSBLs and other obvious
forgery checks such as hosts using my domain(s)/IP(s) in HELO/EHLO). We
simply quarantine any mail from hosts without rDNS at all, and reject
all mail from non-whitelisted generic hosts.

--
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/web_designer.html       join us!
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!