Re: is reverse dns required? (policy question)

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Dec 01 12:33:55 2004

On Dec 1, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Greg Albrecht wrote:

i'm currently having an argument with management.
Don't we all, always? :-)

we've recently gotten an influx of customer request for us to setup reverse dns for the customer's mail servers, since most sites (aol, freebsd, others) require it to accept mail, and reject mail if it is not from a server with reverse dns (i'm aware this is an emerging trend).
Don't know if I would call it "emerging", as some people have done it for years.

however, management has taken it upon themselves to charge our customers
for every reverse dns request they submit to us.
Your business, your servers, your customers, your decision.

It is not completely unheard-of, but it certainly is very rare.

Personally, as a customer, I would never pay an ISP for in-addr, and would make a conscious effort to change ISPs if one made me pay for it. Strikes me as the type of nickel-and-dime mentality that will cause me much larger problems down the road.

--
TTFN,
patrick