RE: Sensible geographical addressing [Was: 16 vs 32 bit ASNs yadda, yadda]

  • From: Hannigan, Martin
  • Date: Tue Nov 30 09:51:44 2004

Fiber routes have very little to do with evolution of
the Internet. Capacity is key, and underlying markets
drive where the glass is. Internet service is bottom
up.

[ snip ]

> Technically speaking, I don't care about where people go or
> where containers go. It's the fiber routes that I care about
> and these usually lead to interconnect points or exchanges
> in the major cities. I worked for GTS at the time they

All fiber must meet somewhere. It's the nature of the beast.
Fiber is not dependant upon exchanges or meet me rooms, the
meet-me's and exchanges are dependant upon it.

-M<

> were building Flag Atlantic. Even though we knew that the
> cables landed at Crab Meadow and Long Beach, we still
> referred to that end as the New York end because we
> were only planning to connect customers to the link
> in the city of New York. On a trans-oceanic hop it
> doesn't make a lot of difference if the traffic lands
> in a Sprint Pop and then has to go crosstown to
> MCI's PoP before being routed to its destination in
> Rochester. Why do the Europeans need to see the
> topology of New York State in order to efficiently
> route traffic?

So people don't build PVC's from NYC to LAX and
call it one hop?

-M<