RE: size of the routing table is a big deal, especially in IPv6

  • From: Scott Morris
  • Date: Mon Nov 29 23:45:47 2004

You make it sound like the politics involved in a regulatory/governed
setting are different than those involved in a commercial setting.  In the
end, it's all about economics.

I think the UN has enough trouble managing the things it attempts to manage
right now.  Don't let them try to be technical too!

We should have looked at IPv4 and simply added three bits as a prefix to
denote continent.  Giving lots of Ips in lots of different areas.  Of
course, then we'd argue about how the Ips for Antartica would get allocated.
And then there would be the one leftover set, presumably for outer space.
Just in case the United Federation of Planets ever needed to worry about IP
address allocation.

Gotta plan ahead, right?

Same basic problems we've always had, just changing the scale to reflect the
times.  Technology isn't much different than any other economic/social
history in that matter.  :)

Scott