Re: ULA and RIR cost-recovery

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Mon Nov 29 10:28:31 2004

In a message written on Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 11:40:50AM -0800, Tony Hain wrote:
> The current problem is that the RIR membership has self-selected to a state
> where they set policies that ensure the end customer has no alternative
> except to be locked into their provider's address space. Everyone
> acknowledges that the demand for PI space is real while simultaneously
> refusing to seriously deal with it (and the re-architecting of fundamental
> assumptions about the Internet effort of multi6, while serious, is not a
> short term solution).

I don't think this statement is true on its face.  Regardless, if
it is true the end users have no one to blame but themselves.

The policy process (at least for the past several years) has been
an open, public process.  You don't have to be a member to show up
and make policy.  The big ISP's do not dominate the discussions.

You need look no further than than those elected for proof.  The
ARIN Advisory Council is elected by the membership.  The members
are at http://www.arin.net/about_us/ab_org_ac.html.  If you look
close you'll see that of the 15 members only 3 work for "large
ISP's".

If you look closely at recent events, you'll see a number of proposals
all for small ISP's or for end users.  The members passed 2003-15,
a relaxation of the rules in Africa to help small ISP's in Africa.
The members passed the "six months" rule, to insure growing ISP's
would always have plenty of addresses on hand.  The members passed
a policy to allow end users to always get a /24 from their upstream
if they are multi-homed.  The members moved the minimum allocation
size from a /20 to a /22 for multi-homed sites.

Did we experience some growing pains in the past?  Sure.  There
were technological and political issues in the past that caused
some people some pain.  However, the process that came out of all
of that is fair and open.  Almost all the IP Allocation issues in
the past 2-3 years have been issues that the small guy faces, and
have generally been passed to help them grow.

So, I don't know where your statement comes from.  When end sites
can get a /22 directly from ARIN so they can multi-home, I wonder
how we are locking end-sites into their providers address space.
Since you can get a /22 with a 50% justification you only have to
show a need for 512 IP's to be provider independent.  I would love to
know how that is an unreasonable barrier.

Note, there is also talk of ARIN extending this boundary to a /24.
This will be tackled in upcoming meetings.  The membership decided
we would go to a /22, collect data, and evaluate the impact of
moving to a /24.  While we only have 6 months of data so far, the
current trend does not indicate a "land rush", which makes it much
more likely the boundary will go to a /24 within the next 12-18
months.

So, it seems like in IPv4 land we're making it quite easy for
end-sites to get PI space.  It also seems like, even with end sites
getting PI space, and everyone announcing cutouts of provider blocks
we don't have a global routing table that's too large.  We're at
~140,000 routes now, and that's with the mess of the swamp and other
poor past decisions floating around.

To bring us full circle back to IPv6, if we don't do stupid things
like create a swamp (which in my mind includes ULA), the table
should not be any bigger (by number of routes) than with IPv4, and
in fact should be smaller.  Many companies today have several IPv4
prefixes in the swamp, non-aggregateable, and all of the proposed
IPv6 schemes would prevent that from ever happening.  I firmly
expect the IPv6 table would be around half the size of the IPv4
table were similar allocation rules to be applied.  That's something
we can manage, and it gives all the end sites a shot at PI space
as well.  If we cut the table size in half, even with addresses
that are 4x the size, we only double memory requirements.  Given
where routers are going with memory that doesn't seem like a big
issue in the timeframe that we are talking about.

There was a time when people were running AGS+'s that needed to
filter routes to get them to stay up.  There was a time when people
ran 7513's with 128M of RAM and they were falling over due to too
many routes.  There are important lessons to learn from those
experiences.  Operators and vendors took away a lot of knowledge
from those incidents, and started to produce boxes that didn't have
those limits.  While we need to learn from those mistakes and not
repeat them they do not lead to such draconian moves such as "NO
PI SPACE!", such as those in the IPv6 working group want to push.

So, in summary, you state end sites have no alternative but to use
their upstreams addresses.  Nothing could be further from the truth
with IPv4, with the RIR's currently bending over backwards to make
it easier for small sites to be provider independent.  At the same
time you want to push an IPv6 proposal that specifically excludes
all PI space.  Hipocracy at its best.

The IPv6 working group needs to adopt a simple path for moving forward.

#1 Set aside a block for "local" use a-la RFC1918.  This set aside
   should make no recommendations about how the space is subdivided
   for used for these local purposes.

#2 Drop the ULA nonsense.  As currently crafted its destined to fail.

#3 Drop the absolutely stupid notion that there should be no PI space.
   There will be PI space, either by people using ULA for that purposes,
   or by the RIR's changing this stupidity after they get ahold of it.

#4 Drop the absolutely stupid notion that "one size fits all".  A /32
   for everyone makes no sense.  VLSM was a good idea.

#5 Stay out of the allocation details.  The RIR's have been allocating
   addresses for years.  The RIR's have people, from small to large
   ISP's and everything inbetween solving real world allocation
   problems every day.  The history tells us is the policy will
   change over time.  History also tells us being too liberal early on
   can never be "fixed".  The RIR's will change policy as time goes
   on to fit the changing IPv6 world.  Let them deal with the policy
   on a going forward basis.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org