Re: 16 vs 32 bit ASNs [Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI]

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Mon Nov 29 05:50:01 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 11:13:55AM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> We really don't want to arrive at a situation
> where it becomes increasingly difficult to obtain an AS number for
> those who legitimately need one.

What will be interesting is the definition of "legitimate" in this
context. I'm sure the ISPs will push for rising the monetary bar to
"regulate" their market. See e.g. the inherent anti-competetive
billing policy at RIPE where every year, a newcomer has to pay more
for allocated/assigned resources. So I guess they will make it just
more expensive.

This is btw the major flaw I see with Pekka's ASN-derrived PI prefix
draft which limits it to the first 32K ASNs. This just makes those
ASN "golden" and thus open to $BIGNUM $$$ on the "grey market". Seen
that way, it's again just another attempt on "make it more expensive
(as in real money!) to be able to multihome". Not that I say that this
is Pekka's intention.

Regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email protected] -- [email protected] -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0