Re: A6/DNAME not needed for v6 renumbering [Re: who gets a /32 [Re:IPV6 renumbering painless?]]

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Mon Nov 29 04:42:11 2004

I suspect that it is now time to agree to disagree.

I have said before and will say again:

1. IPv4 is fundamentally flawed in that we are using a single
resource as both an end-point identifier and a routing
identifier. The phone companies figured out that these
must be separate years ago.

2. IPv6 took some steps to solve this by making this division
somewhat artificially through the use of A6/DNAME, but,
later backed off from this practice.

3. IPv6 then completely failed to address issue 1 in any other
way, and, so, we have, as near as I can tell, essentially
come full circle to TUBA which we initially rejected largely
because of issues like number 1 above.

To further paraphrase Randy: 'Swamp: do not drink.'

Owen