Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

  • From: Henning Brauer
  • Date: Sun Nov 28 08:14:24 2004

* Daniel Roesen <[email protected]> [2004-11-28 14:05]:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 01:21:05PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> > * Cliff Albert <[email protected]> [2004-11-28 13:13]:
> > > Therefore I also agree with daniel that there is not really a problem
> > > with the 1 ASN == 1 IPv6 Prefix.
> >
> > unless I miss something in that proposal that means that we'll see a
> > dramatic increase in ASNs - I mean, it is not like only organizations
> > with an ASN assigned have v4 space now. If they have their portable
> > address space now, why should they suddenly accept that they had to
> > renumber when changing providers?
>
> Because they would have to _qualify_ for an ASN first. And the rules
> for that are sufficiently strict - you have to prove a distinct routing
> policy. That means either multihoming two at least two upstreams, or
> upstream plus peering. The shops who have only legacy PI space announced
> by their single static routed upstream won't qualify. Plain simple.

there are a lot of organizations now having PI without having an ASN
and beeing multihomed. a transition to v6 with this policy would make
things much worse for them, so why should they?

on the other hand, 1 ASN -> 1 v6 prefix does not necessarily mean 1 v6
prefix -> 1 ASN. might work out.

> The convenience factor _is_ already outlawed.

true for new allocations, but there is a gigantic installed base, and
making their situation worse isn't exactly helping in getting v6
deployed.

[email protected] - [email protected]
(Dennis Ritchie)