Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Sun Nov 28 08:05:52 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 01:21:05PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> * Cliff Albert <[email protected]> [2004-11-28 13:13]:
> > Therefore I also agree with daniel that there is not really a problem
> > with the 1 ASN == 1 IPv6 Prefix.
>
> unless I miss something in that proposal that means that we'll see a
> dramatic increase in ASNs - I mean, it is not like only organizations
> with an ASN assigned have v4 space now. If they have their portable
> address space now, why should they suddenly accept that they had to
> renumber when changing providers?

Because they would have to _qualify_ for an ASN first. And the rules
for that are sufficiently strict - you have to prove a distinct routing
policy. That means either multihoming two at least two upstreams, or
upstream plus peering. The shops who have only legacy PI space announced
by their single static routed upstream won't qualify. Plain simple.

I say: there won't be any landrush effect, as getting ASN+PI in IPv4
is today already as easy as possible, given technical justification
that you need it. The convenience factor _is_ already outlawed.

Regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email protected] -- [email protected] -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0