Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PI prefix [Re: who gets a /32)

  • From: Fred Baker
  • Date: Sat Nov 27 13:34:48 2004

At 11:54 PM 11/26/04 -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
IMHO, the rules that qualify someone for an AS number should qualify them
for a prefix. It need not be a truly long prefix, but larger than a /48.
I agree with the first part, but, a /48 is 65,536 64 bit subnets.  Do you
really think most organizations need more than that?  Or, by larger than
a /48 did you mean a longer prefix (smaller allocation/assignment)?
The important part there is "most networks".

What about a network that is not one of "most networks"? My point is that one size does not fit all, and that "most" != "all". So I think we need a policy that applies in the general case, a policy that applies in specific cases where the general case doesn't work, and a rule for saying which policy applies.