Re: Best way to get of Bogon list?

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Fri Nov 26 08:34:49 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 01:02:27AM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > > Possibly, whoever are the vendors of software that recommends this
> > > practice (and authors of security handbooks) should be show the error
> > > of their ways?

Never heard of a particular software vendor nor security author
disctating it, but then perhaps that's because some of us set
things up based on real experience and don't always see those
who come after.

> I dare to say that even without wholesale BCP38 implementation,
> benefit of bogon-filtering unallocated space is tiny compared to
> cost of lost connectivity due to the filters that aren't updated.

That's a change mgmt complaint, not a bogon filter complaint. There
are many many many of us who experience concrete benefits and zero
problems WRT bogon filters.  I suspect those stating there's no
benefit never actually used them.

Vote with your wallet, etc etc.

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE