Re: BBC does IPv6 ;) (Was: large multi-site enterprises and PIprefix [Re: who gets a /32)

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Thu Nov 25 08:05:22 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 13:50 +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 25-nov-04, at 10:27, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> >> 200 locations doesn't seem that off to me..
>
> > That is exactly the right way to count ;)
>
> > Which kind of makes the point, that they deserve the /32
>
> Well, apparently RIPE thinks they do, so there must be some piece of
> information that I'm not privvy to.
>
> However, in the absense of that particular piece of information, I have
> a hard time seeing how the BBC qualifies for a /32. Last time I
> checked, they weren't an ISP. 200 sites doesn't qualify you for a /32:
> it qualifies you for a /48 (jusst like one site does). That's 65536
> subnets = ~300 subnets per site. If that's not enough, perhaps a /47 or
> /46 is in order, or maybe, just maybe a /40 = a /48 per site. But a /32
> is ridiculous: this allows for 4 billion subnets (20 million per site).
>
> Here is a quote from the "IPv6 Address Allocation and Assignment
> Policy" (http://www.iana.org/ipaddress/ipv6-allocation-policy-26jun02
> ):
>
> 5.1.1.  Initial allocation criteria
>
>     To qualify for an initial allocation of IPv6 address space, an
>     organization must:
>
>     a) be an LIR;

Check, as long as they pay the fees ;)

>     b) not be an end site;

Check, the one who gets the allocation only handles the connectivity for
the sites in c)

>     c) plan to provide IPv6 connectivity to organizations to which it
>        will assign /48s, by advertising that connectivity through its
>        single aggregated address allocation; and

Check, all the different organizations.
I btw got a very nice tree structure which details it mostly, eek, it is
scary, good luck to management there.

>     d) have a plan for making at least 200 /48 assignments to other
>        organizations within two years.

Check, they come quite far already. btw, it is a *plan*, you don't have
to have it now. And tell me, which company/organization is not planning
on expanding a lot and either annihilating or creating some other
organizations under their wings in the process? :)

And I hope some people now realize how they should be counting...

Greets,
 Jeroen