Re: Public Interest Networks (was: Re: Consortium sheds light on darkfiber's potential)

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Wed Nov 24 16:19:39 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, Deepak Jain writes:
> >

> >Vicky, I apologize if I am hijacking your thread.
> >
> >Is it just me or does all this talk of Research (and other Public
> >Interest) Networks and logical separation by layer 1/2 leave [everyone]
> >nonplussed?
> >
> >How is logical separation of a network [say via MPLS] much different
> >than using a lambda to do the same thing?
>
> Wearing my researcher hat, the answer depends on what sort of research
> you're trying to conduct.  There are more things to do with a fiber
> than just running IPv4 over it.

yes, ipv6! :) Actually, some of the research networks seem to be places to
test/eval new hardware, software, techniques and/or pass large datasets
from lab to lab in larger collaborative projects. Often the
faster/newer/sexier gear had been tested on these 'test' networks prior to
deployments in the field.

Steve is right though, it's not all ipv4 on the links...