RE: ULA and RIR cost-recovery

  • From: Tony Hain
  • Date: Tue Nov 23 14:11:09 2004

John Curran wrote:
> If ARIN's members direct it to provide such a service, and provide
> guidance that
> the fees should based initial-only and on a cost recovery, I have a lot of
> faith that
> it would occur...
>
> That does, of course, presume that the operator community actually agrees
> with
> the need for ULA's and draft's philosophy on pricing.

And that is the basic problem. The primary value of ULAs is with the end
site, not the operator community. The IPv6 public prefix allocation policy
that only operators get them ensures that the ARIN membership will be
heavily weighted against the target audience for the technology.

I have never been a fan of the registered ULAs, and have argued against the
IETF's attempts to state specific monetary values or lifetime practice as a
directive to the RIRs; but I am equally bothered by the thought that the
operator community would feel a need to fight against something that really
doesn't impact them.

Tony