Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Tue Nov 23 05:49:17 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 11:32 +0100, Elmar K. Bins wrote:

> > > this level of complexity seems a little high for anything to be universal.
> >
> > It depends all on what one wants, either one gets a lot of routes and
> > thus what we currently have in IPv4 or it is done completely different,
> > like that.
>
> That's the point of view of an Internet technician (ok, who's on this list,
> after all...). It is not the point of a user, a manager or a corporation.

I am actually a user, though I tend to try to solve the problems I come
across when wanting to do something from a variety of perspectives, all
of which you mentioned above and probably a lot more.

> HIP is too complicated, it relies on too many parts. It will never be used
> widely, unless someone find a way to _entirely_ hide it from the end-user.
> I cannot see a way to do that, starting with the certificates and for a
> long time not ending with server and client implementations.

Does Jane Doe even know that DNS exists? No, they go to wall-mart or so,
get themselves a computer ("expensive toy with a lotttt of buttons"),
because that, just like a phone, is used to communicate to other people,
or a tv to look at pretty things ("Tell Sell made interactive!"), they
plug it into that cable coming out of the wall, or most of the time let
some 'engineer' ("that creepy fellow that came only after I called them
a lot of times when they finally came around") 'install' it. Then Jane
can press that round button and using that thing they call a mouse ("I
have to press the eyes and the tail is on the wrong side"). MSN or
whatever that came pre-installed pops up and gives them some default
links. Most of them don't even know they can *type* url's.... let alone
that they are called url's or that they form a hierarchy... they really
don't care about DNS and they also do not want to know.

As for your 'certificates' part, never used http://www.bank.com ? :)
They come pre-installed. 25 years ago you didn't get a computer with a
pre-installed browser (they didn't exist), that might take time, but it
will come hopefully.

That something at this moment doesn't look viable or far in the future
doesn't mean one must simply throw it away...

Btw... the funniest part about most people who say they 'multihome' is
always that they have quite a number of SPOF's in their 'network' ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen