Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

  • From: Jerry Pasker
  • Date: Sun Nov 21 00:35:49 2004

if the ipv6 routing table ever gets as large as the ipv4 routing table is
today (late 2004 if you're going to quote me later), we'll be in deep doo.
--
Paul Vixie

"Nut-uh!"

*WHEN* the ipv6 routing table gets as large as the ipv4 routing table is today (late 2004, when you quote me later) it won't be a problem.

As a matter of fact, I would bet that Cisco , Juniper, and any other edge/core router manufacturer are banking on this happening.

Today's routing table can be carried on older edge routers very effectively (There are many 7500, 7200 series routers out there), and I predict that this will continue to be the case for quite some time (at least a few more years) This is not conducive to the business model of Cisco Systems. *WHEN* the IPv6 routing table is the same size that it is today, I seriously doubt that there will be any problem with finding a CPU fast enough, RAM with a memory rate high enough, or CPU to memory bandwidth wide enough to handle it.

And when that time comes: I promise that any Cisco sales person will have at least more than a handful of routers to sell you that'll handle the load just fine.

I'm Jerry Pasker, and I approved this message.