Re: Stupid Ipv6 question...

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Fri Nov 19 10:56:40 2004

Thus spake "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <[email protected]>
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around ipv6 style suffixes -- does anyone have a chart handy? How big is a /64, specifically?
Subnet sizes work a bit differently in IPv6 due to autoconfiguration; nearly all subnets are expected to be /64, which can hold up to 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 hosts. A /48, the minimum assignment to end sites (unless proven to need only a single /64), comprises 65,536 subnets. A /32, the minimum allocation to ISPs, comprises 65,536 /48s. Of course, the minimum allocation sizes may be changed (up or down) in the future by RIR policy actions, and ISPs or end-sites can get shorter prefixes with proper justification.

/127 prefixes are assumed for point-to-point links, and presumably an organization will divide up a single /64 for all ptp links -- unless they have more than 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 of them.