Heathrow scanner experiences?

  • From: Paul Wouters
  • Date: Fri Nov 19 08:12:33 2004

[ It is a bit off topic, but I am looking for people who have travelled
through Heathrow lately with the new x-ray scanner, and nanog people are
generally engaged in a lot of traveling ]

I was just pointed out to this article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/18/blunkett_xray_blank/

It says:

	"To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what air kerma
	rate has been used to assess radiation doses associated with the use of
	the Rapiscan Secure 1000 apparatus." David Blunkett's (yes, him again,
	sorry about that) response was: "The information sought is not in the
	public domain."

	"This would mean that a security scanner would have to deliver 2,500
	scans of an individual annually at 0.1 µSv per scan in order to reach
	the US administrative control level of 0.25 mSv. For an airport security
	scanner, even operating at a rather higher level, you'd probably have
	to be living in it to achieve that kind of level."

I went through Heathrow a few weeks ago, and was luckilly selected as
a winner and destined to test these new Rapiscan boxes. I was informed
it was an X-ray scanner, but with a very low dosage, the equivalent of
being in an airplane for 11 minutes. Ofcourse only later did I realise
that if these shots take 0.5 seconds, I was getting a dose 2*11*60=
1330 times the dose of the backgorund radiation of being in a plane. I
wouldn't be suprised if those 11 minutes were per shot either. But at
the time, I was more curious then worried.

The machine looked like a big wall.  I needed to stand in front of it,
without jacket, arms and legs spread, torso turned. Two shots were
made with me turned in both positions. A third shot was made when I
was standing straight, exactly like a criminal. Legs slightly spread,
arms up.  I then asked to the officer if they were storing these scans,
and what they actualy showed. He then offered me a look behind the scene
(and screen).  A second officer was there, looking at a monitor that
still showed my third shot. I saw myself from behind, 'naked'. I was quite
suprised that this technology could actually render me naked. I could see
where I have body hair and where not. From a technological point of view
quite an achievement.  (There was a second scanner, but I am not sure if
those were run by women, and whether they only picked women or not) The
officer further told me this was meant to scan for objects on the body,
and that the images were not stored. They did not ask me for my passport,
so I don't think this information is cross checked or stored. I also read
on an earlier news article that the person seeing the monitor cannot
see the person in real life, which is meant to 'reduce' the privacy
invasion. The person seeing you 'naked' never sees the real you.

I forgot about the scanner and walked into the secure shopping mall,
and checked for books. About five minutes after the scan, while I
was not even thinking about the scanner anymore, I suddenly felt very
nauseous all over. I then felt a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen
which dissipated in the next minute. The nausea passed as well.

I am a bit worried, and I did Google around, but found no other people
reporting the same. I did not go back to the scanner, since I couldn't
reach the insecure area anymore.

I wondered about the pain. AFAIK there are no vital organs on the
right side. The liver, spleen and 'alvleesklier' (?) should be more
to the left or lower. The only thing on the right side is the end of
your intestines. That made me think that in fact they might have used
a higher dose or a more targeted scan to check deeper into my body for
hidden drugs or explosives or whatever.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has gone through this scanner and
what their experience was.

Paul