Re: who gets a /32 [Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?]

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Nov 18 17:15:19 2004

[snip]

Re LACNIC, I don't know what kind of organizations are or aren't headquartered
within the LACNIC region, so, I"m not willing to make assumptions. I'm betting
that there are plenty of commercial organizations in Columbia that have at
least 200 manufacturing and distribution centers, but, the number of actual
sites is really irrelevant to the discussion... See my rebuttal to 3 below.

	3.	There are plenty of large organizations that are multihomed
		that don't have 200 locations.
That is too bad for those organizations (under current policy)
Do these organizations all have their own ASN? If so, there are still at
the moment <30k of these, so should not be a large issue to give them a
alloc, ARIN has these special micro-allocs, not that that helps the
routing table size but still.

OK.. I tried to make my point a bit left-handedly, and apparently, it got
missed. The number of sites is irrelevant to the discussion. In order
for an org. to qualify for v6 space, said org needs to have a plan for
allocating at least 200 /48s to other orgs. within some period of time.
(I forget the exact clock). Anyway, while it would be easy for a company
to define each site as a separate org., there are lots of other ways to
define orgs. too. For example, business units. A school could, theoretically,
divide each grade level up into separate orgs. if they wanted. Separate
administrative control boundaries could be treated as separate orgs.
Subsidiaries, spin-offs, joint ventures, each employee, etc. LOTS of ways
to create orgs if one really wants to. If I ran a company that employed
200 people and I decided I was going to put together a plan to provide
household IP service to each of my employees to enable telecommuting, that
would be 200 orgs right there.

Anyway, I hope that makes the point a little more clear. It is really not
hard to qualify for a /32 under the current policy. Especially since there
is absolutely no requirement to make good on your plan, you just have to have
a plan.

Owen

Greets,
 Jeroen