Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Tue Nov 16 02:30:18 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 08:18 +0100, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> On 2004-11-16, at 02.24, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
> > ASNs issued today are subject to annual renewal.  While this is a
> > small charge and doesn't go up based on the number of ASNs, so, not
> > 100% effective at reclaiming all unused resources, it does, at least,
> > reclaim resources in use by defunct organizations that are no longer
> > paying the maintenance for them.
>
> Yes, but are they being resused?

I have seen IPv6 prefixes, that were allocated and then returned, being
allocated to another organization with somewhat a period of 6 months in
between. Thus one can assume that ASN will be re-used too. Of course I
think that the few couple of prefixes I happen to have seen this
happening with where 'given back' from the originally owning
organization and not reclaimed from them. Meaning that the RIR knew that
it was not in use anymore. Fortunately there are of course systems like
RIS (http://ris.ripe.net) to figure this out. Then again, allocations,
be they ASN's, IPv6 or IPv4 prefixes, are not only allocated for the
public internet usage, but solely to be globally unique.

Greets,
 Jeroen