Re: EFF whitepaper

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Mon Nov 15 18:04:52 2004

On Nov 15, 2004, at 5:47 PM, Tom (UnitedLayer) wrote:

In a nutshell, email requires accountability. The EFF apparently thinks
that is too high a price to ask for email.
I think you're missing the point. Anonymous communication saves lives,
allows people to "blow the whistle", and in general it serves the greater
good to have it exist. Email already has an "audit trail" built into it,
and you can at least track it to some extent if you know what you're
doing. Does email need a DNA signature for the sender? In my mind no, you
can get that if you use PGP signatures and look how few people actually
use that.
I hate e-mail as much as the next guy, more probably, having spent real $$ and lots of time, hardware, effort, etc. in support of the cause. But even I have to say that 1 e-mail/minute is an OK price to let people send anonymous e-mail if it really will save lives. And this absolutely does.

If you come up with a better solution, I'm all ears.

--
TTFN,
patrick