Re: EFF whitepaper

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Mon Nov 15 16:30:22 2004

on Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 01:06:09PM -0800, Tom (UnitedLayer) wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Steven Champeon wrote:
> > John Gilmore runs a well-known open relay at toad.com, and for some
> > reason thinks that free, anonymous speech is important enough to let
> > spammers drown it out through sheer volume.
>
> Someone famous said something about paying a high price for free speech, I
> think this perhaps would fall under that category.

I know - I too, pay a high price to maintain my own mail servers.

> Mr Gilmore spends quite a bit of time tending to his mail server to ensure
> that spammers do not abuse it.

Congrats. So do I.

> Any spammer who spends time pumping mail through his server is going
> to realize quite quickly that its not worth their time. Its a very old
> slow machine on a T1 with other intentional slowdowns added to the
> MTA, and some amount of spam filtering. I would say it would have a
> hard time passing more than 1 message a minute.

Great. And this affects those of us with not-so-old, not-so-slow machines
how? The bottom line is that Gilmore, and the EFF, have taken a very soft
stance on spam, believing it to be less important than "free speech" or
"anonymous speech". Oh, well. I believe that the EFF already has all the
support it needs, and so I don't contribute to their efforts to make my
life more difficult.

> I would think that most spammers would give up and go abuse an open proxy
> somewhere, they're much more plentiful and less cluefully tended.

Oh, probably. Or one of the million-host proxy botnets. Or another open
proxy. Or another open relay. Or a hacked webmail server, etc. etc. etc.
The existence of other more preferable alternatives doesn't obviate the
fact that the EFF has not been tough enough on spam.

 http://www.eff.org/Spam_cybersquatting_abuse/Spam/position_on_junk_email.php

Wow. So, no antispam measure with any possibility of blocking legitimate
mail should be adopted. In other words, we should just go back to 1993?

 http://eff.org/wp/?f=SpamCollateralDamage.html

Wow. So, any collateral damage is unacceptable? Even when the source of
the so-called "legitimate" mail is a spammer, pure and simple, with bad
ideas about what constitutes mailing list management? Granted, they're
"working with others" to "define" things that most of us have known
about for years. Gee, thanks, guys. Why not spend some time using the
best practices already written up? Hell, does the EFF even do
subscription confirmations yet? Or do they assume that anyone capable of
filling out a Web form is incapable of lying or mistyping their email
address? RFC2505 is five years old and a BCP now. Its first admonition
is to put an end to unauthorized relaying. Second is to provide trace
information in Received: headers. Oops! Both essentially outlaw
anonymous speech via email.

In a nutshell, email requires accountability. The EFF apparently thinks
that is too high a price to ask for email.

--
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/web_designer.html       join us!
join us!   http://hesketh.com/about/careers/account_manager.html    join us!