RE: EFF whitepaper

  • From: Miller, Mark
  • Date: Mon Nov 15 11:31:52 2004

  Well-written or not, this piece has a vague odor of blaming the victim
for the crime.  To cite the specific example quoted below, if
cash-hungry spam havens like China, Korea and others took action locally
to reduce the "spam-friendly" nature of many of their online providers,
the filtering fickle middle finger of fate would not be pointed at them
as a geographical entity.  I mean, if 40% of my spam comes from or
through China, then of course I will be more wary of accepting mail from
there.  Profiling isn't a problem of free speech, it is a simple matter
of statistics.

  It's a bad craftsman that blames his tools. These utilities are
specifically designed to operate in the online environment we find
ourselves in.  Perhaps it is the environment that needs changing, not
the way we protect ourselves from it.

 - Mark

------------------------------------
Spam Assassin, a popular program that does ad hoc pattern matching,
assigns "points" to various features of an email to determine whether it
is spam. The higher the number of points, the more likely it will be
sent to the spam folder or discarded. Points can be assigned for
everything from country of origin to certain words or subject headers.
One of the major problems with this system is that messages from certain
countries - like China, for example - can be blocked purely on the basis
of where they come from and what language they're in The implications
for free speech here are very troubling indeed: a human rights group
communicating with people in China may find that their bulk email is
blocked, and thus anti-spam technology unintentionally works as a
political censorship mechanism. Of course, this is only a problem when
end users are not given control over how points are assigned, and what
will be done with messages that get "high" or "low" marks. Spam Assassin
and programs like it can be configured to give users more control.