Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Sat Nov 13 19:24:57 2004
On 13 Nov 2004, at 13:32, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

Thus spake "Paul Vixie" <[email protected]>

There is currently no PI in IPv6 unless you're an internet exchange or
a root server.
...but i really do think of 2001:4f8::/32 as PI, even though ISC is neither
an IX nor a rootserver. (f-root has its own /48, which is something else.)
So you're claiming that any IPv6 PI applicant without your political connections to the IESG, ARIN, IANA, etc. can get a /32? I don't know exactly how many subnets/hosts ISC has, but I seriously doubt ISC could even get a PI /48 if you weren't buddies with the folks making allocation decisions.
Nobody is required to count hosts or subnets in order to justify a request for PI v6 space from an RIR. All an applicant needs to do is meet the criteria laid out in the policies, and addresses are assigned or allocated.

Anybody who wants to examine the real policies should go and look at the source documents at ARIN, but to paraphrase them here, an applicant who operates an exchange point, or operates critical Internet infrastructure can obtain a PI /48 assignment from ARIN for that purpose; an applicant who has a plan to assign PA addresses to 200 other organisations within 2 years can get a /32 to make the assignments from.

The policies specify other requirements for subsequent address requests, and for organisations that need more than a /32 worth of addresses, but for people applying for their first block that paragraph sums it up (however, read the source documents at <http://www.arin.net> rather than taking my word for it).

I would expect ARIN staff to ensure that applications were reasonable, accurate and met the criteria set out in the policy before handing out any resources. ARIN staff have always been very rigourous in this regard whenever I have had occasion to send them a request.

Joe