Re: I want my own IPs

  • From: Marshall Eubanks
  • Date: Sat Nov 13 04:39:38 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:57:46 -0700
 Michael Loftis <[email protected]> wrote:

The original intent of 2002-3 : Micro-Assignments for Multihomed Networks was
to give a /24 to any party with an ASN, as it was possible to become an
AS without having the ability to get your own address space.
In the year+ before it was approved last Fall
in Chicago, this was watered down to a /22. (FWIW, I opposed that.)

However, to become an AS means that you have to be multi homed, i.e., have
a connection to 2 or more providers. Since it is not hard to get a /24 from a provider
if you are paying for a connection with them, then my understanding of the intent was
that any ASN with two /24's should be able to get a /22. (I.e., for the microassignment,
having an ASN was the crucial factor.) This is not the same as requesting an assignment for
a /20 or smaller prefix, where different rules apply.

If you are an ASN with two address blocks, I think that you qualify and should apply.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks