Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Fri Nov 12 16:27:29 2004

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 05:19:36PM +0100, Simon Leinen wrote:
> > "specified the entire 128 bits"... how do you specify only part of
> > it?
>
> On Solaris, you would use the "token" option (see the extract from
> "man ifconfig" output below).  You can simply put "token ::1234:5678"
> into /etc/hostname6.bge0.  I assume that other sane OSes have similar
> mechanisms.

Ah thanks. No, not seen anywhere in Linux or *BSD.

> > What determines the rest?
>
> The prefix advertised in prefix advertisements.

OK, but this doesn't have any effect on your "Listen",
"NameVirtualHost" and "<VirtualHost>" statements of your httpd.conf,
"ListenAddress" in sshd.conf, "Bind" in proftpd.conf, "*-source" and
"listen-on*" in named.conf, [...]

Not to forget all the IP address based ACLs.

> > "fixed" as in "now using stateless autoconfig"? Fun... change NIC
> > and you need to change DNS. Thanks, but no thanks. Not for
> > non-mobile devices which need to be reachable with sessions
> > initiated from remote (basically: servers).
>
> The above mechanism solves this problem even with stateless
> autoconfiguration.  Agree?

The NIC-change problem? Yes, agreed. But generates new problem: Plug
server accidently in wrong VLAN (and thus other subnet) and you'll
might get an IP address collision. I know ND DAD prevents the worst
for that case in the immediate term, but when the original holder
gets reconnected/rebootet, THIS one is off their air. But you're right,
typos in IPv4 might provoke similar desasters so I rest this specific
case. :-)

> I think it's an advantage if servers can get their prefixes from
> router announcements rather than from local config files.  Sure, you
> still have to update the DNS at some point(s) during renumbering, but
> that can't be avoided anyway.

Given that a server often has to know it's exact IP address very
often (especially if it has multiple IP addresses associated with
it's public interface), it's not a real relief compared to the other
struggles you have when subnet changes.

Regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email protected] -- [email protected] -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0