Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Fri Nov 12 12:41:11 2004

Fortunately there are 'only' 65k ASN's, thus that would mean only 65k
routes in the routing table, which should be quite practical. Seeing
only ~650 routes now I don't see that happening that soon, especially
with the slowness of deployment of IPv6 in the US, though it is catching
on ;). Left to wonder though what happens when we run out of ASN's,
32bit ones?

32bit ASNs are already in the works.  I would expect not more than 2-3
years before you see widespread 32bit ASN code in routers.

As those policies are decided upon by the membership, feed your input to
ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/LACNIC...

My RIR is ARIN, and, I am an active participant in the ARIN process.
However, my comments on this issue started because I believe ULA will make
ARIN or other RIR policies regarding allocation virtually irrelevant because
economic pressure will drive ISPs to globally route ULA prefixes, which
allocation is not controlled by RIR policy.

Owen