Re: IPV6 renumbering painless?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Nov 12 10:07:01 2004
On 12 Nov 2004, at 09:56, Joe Abley wrote:

The word "allocate" used by RIRs usually corresponds to PI. The corresponding word for PA is "assign".
And just to make this bit clearer (since, now that I look at it, it's a bit murky): if an RIR allocates addresses to an organisation, that organisation is allowed to make assignments from it to other organisations. If an RIR assigns addresses to an organisation, sub-assignments are not allowed.

So most PI space is allocated (i.e. provided to LIRs so that they can assign PA space to other organisations). Some PI space is assigned (criticial infrastructure and exchange points).

I'll leave all the RIR staff on this list to correct all my other mistakes.

Joe