Re: How to Blocking VoIP ( H.323) ?

  • From: Robert Mathews
  • Date: Thu Nov 11 13:43:23 2004
  • Country: = United States of America =
  • Verified-originator: Prof. Robert Mathews

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Alexei Roudnev wrote:

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:38:00 -0800
> From: Alexei Roudnev <[email protected]>
> To: Christopher L. Morrow <[email protected]>,
>      Irwin Lazar <[email protected]>
> Cc: Joe Shen <[email protected]>, NANOG <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: How to Blocking  VoIP ( H.323) ?
>

> Hmm - just introduce some jitter into your network, and add random delay to
> the short packets - and no VoIP in your company -:).

Alexei:

How exactly then would anyone implement this, without screwing-up the
overall performance elements in the network?  :)

To Joe Shen:

Perhaps 'I am failing to see it' but, what can be gained by blocking VoIP
traffic other than freeing bandwidth and CPU churnings?

In the grand scheme of things, and in an evolutionary context certainly,
many apps are likely to be proposed in the future, and worse still (in the
eyes of many) - IMPLEMENTED, which will likely compel network owners and
operators to adjust organizational and infrastructure strategies to meet
objectives. As with the introduction of any service or app into the mix,
accommodating something means a REQUISITE adjustment in existing
operational practices.

But WRT VoIP, Consider that by JUST ONE account, the IP telephony market
is expected to be a US$1.4 billion business by 2008 - up from $934 million
in 2002.  This market is expected to experience a annual growth rate of
7.5% through 2008.

Again, what is the point.. is it that you wish to block VoIP to in order
to DELAY/BUY MORE TIME toward implementing organizational change
(slow-rolling, if you are going to be rolling at all), or is it to
prohibit without reservation, any VoIP traffic over your netspace?  Just
curious..

Best,
Robert.
-------