Re: How to Blocking VoIP ( H.323) ?

  • From: Irwin Lazar
  • Date: Thu Nov 11 11:19:17 2004

The following resources may be helpful for H.323:

IP Ports and Protocols used by H.323 Devices
http://www.teamsolutions.co.uk/tsfirewall.html

The Problems and Pitfalls of Getting H.323 Safely Through Firewalls
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/articles/ig-h323_firewalls.html

SIP uses TCP port 5060 for signaling, however voice data traffic is carried
on random high ports.  Some SIP-based VoIP providers route voice data
traffic back to a proxy server (I believe Vonage functions in this way), so
it may be easier to restrict.

Skype requires outbound TCP access to either ports above 1024, or port 80,
and they also recommend outbound UDP access to ports above 1024 (as well as
in-bound replies), so good luck blocking it. :-(

And then there is VoIP as part of IM services (e.g. Apple iChatAV, AOL IM,
or Yahoo Messenger), all of which function differently.

irwin