Re: BGP question

  • From: Frank Louwers
  • Date: Thu Nov 11 08:29:46 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 03:45:43AM +0800, adrian kok wrote:

> Dear all
>
> Something I don't understand and would like you to
> help.
>
> 1/ for the url:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/08/12/multihoming.html
> I don't understand those 2 steps:
>
> - Register your routing policy in a Routing Registry.

You'll have to register the route-object with your local RIR (probabely
APNIC if you are .hk based?)

www.traceroute.org

> 2/ I saw article. "a full BGP feed is about 110,000
> routes."
> Do you have experience that AMD64 with 3G memory in
> Unix Box can handle it?

My advise? Use the AMD64 for something else (database, mailscanning,
high-end webserver, ...) and use whatever you have from old hardware.
The main issue is memory: it is might be possible in 128MB ram, it
should be possible in 256MB ram and if you have 512MB ram, you have more
than enough.

If course, this also depends on what amount of traffic you expect: aside
from the memory, an old box with bad NICs will have a hard time pushing
10Mbps, while a new box with good NICs and a decent OS will forward
about anything you throw at it.

Kind Regards,
Frank Louwers

--
Openminds bvba                www.openminds.be
Tweebruggenstraat 16  -  9000 Gent  -  Belgium