Re: Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

  • From: Christopher L. Morrow
  • Date: Wed Nov 10 22:04:12 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Randy Bush wrote:

> > In today's networks, printers do NOT need global addresses.
>
> let me make sure i understand this.  in order not to have to
> pay for the address space for a my enterprise's printers,
> they are supposed to make separate ether runs to them
> parallel to all the workgroup runs, so they can route them
> funny.  then they are supposed to maintain all that routing
> cruft, port(s) on the routers, ...

not that it's a great plan, and excepting the popular router vendor
'features' with respect to multiple ip addresses per interface... you CAN
put more than on broadcast domain on a single ethernet LAN.

this does make for some 'fun' in configuration management and in
deconflicting address space usages across larger enterprises as well. In
general each ip device really ought to have a globally unique ip address,
even if you never plan on connecting a network (something that would live
more than a testing cycle) to the global internet. business plans change,
partners come and go and technology is always making it easier to do
things 'on the network' than off.