Re: Important IPv6 Policy Issue -- Your Input Requested

  • From: Adrian Chadd
  • Date: Tue Nov 09 03:42:10 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> And there's still the registered variant.
>
> >No, my argument is that it only takes a few stupid people to make
> >this entire system not work at all.
>
> I don't see this.

.. people to not use the hashing.

> >If this draft had a chance of working then there would be no need to
> >create
> >a central registry to guarantee unique addresses.  The very existence
> >of
> >that draft shows some people realize this method will not work.
>
> With registered space you have the additional benefit that when packets
> leak, they can be traced back to the originator, and it's possible to
> delegate name service.

I don't think he was objecting to the existance of the registry.
I think he was objecting to the existance of /both/ drafts - why use
hashing if you can use the RFC1918 registry? The registry which isn't
allowed(?) to charge for its duties, which I'm sure will not be zero
cost.

I don't want to have to tell someone that the block they've /registered/
for is not internet routable, even though its guaranteed
unique on the internet, they're not allowed to route it. Really, this
won't fly very far. I have a few requests from my managers asking
why department X can't talk to department Y - when department X is
trying to expose some 10.x address. Inside a university. I'm sure
I'm not alone here.

Now, on the flip side, i've seen people who run RFC1918 'registries'
out of 172.16/12 for things such as local IX (the RFC1918 addresses
mean "free" is easier to distinguish. Crazy Australian Charging, don't
ask.), local wireless networks just to name two. Heck, there was talk
of 'unifying' the RFC1918 allocation(s) across Australia so these
city based wireless groups could communicate by tunneling across the
public internet! Crazy!

adrian, going back under his rock.

--
Adrian Chadd			"You don't have a TV? Then what's
<[email protected]>	    all your furniture pointing at?"