RE: Status of FCAPS model? Useful? Obsolete?

  • From: Gregory Hicks
  • Date: Tue Nov 09 01:11:35 2004

> From: "Hannigan, Martin" <[email protected]>

[...snip...]
> > Does the FCAPS model still hold currency among network
> > managers/engineers
> > today?
>
> What's FCAPS?

FCAPS is the (supposedly) ISO model for network management (See wiki
def at http://www.free-definition.com/FCAPS.html).  It is an acronym
for Fault, Configuration, Accounting, Performance, and Security...

Other misc definitions:
http://www.nwfusion.com/details/6184.html
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci752173,00.html
http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/ems/topic03.html

However, Forrester Research seems to think that FCAPS is obsolete (at a
cost of $99 to read other than the first sentence) unless you are a
registered Forrester client (I am not).
http://www.forrester.com/Research/LegacyIT/Excerpt/0,7208,29439,00.html

Other references do not deem it dead just yet.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> -M<

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: [email protected]

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin