Re: AOL tarpitting?

  • From: Mark Radabaugh
  • Date: Sat Nov 06 04:53:40 2004

-----Original Message-----

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of
Mark Jeftovic
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 2:26 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: AOL tarpitting?

The new route was tarpitted within 24 hours and absolutely nothing
was communicated to us about it via the "feedback loop".

Does that thing actually work?

Any contacts, on or off list who could advise?

-mark

The feedback loop seems to work quite well though we see a lot of what I consider to be bogus spam reports (not mass mail - just the usual idiots forwarding jokes, mail from their own employers, etc.).. I suspect some AOL users think the 'report as spam' button is the delete key - it was pointed out that they are next to each other on the menu.
The reports have helped us to find a few low volume exploits of scripts (<100 messages /day) on the web servers that we probably would not have found otherwise.

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex