Re: BitTorrent is 35% of traffic ?

  • From: Jeroen Massar
  • Date: Fri Nov 05 11:04:27 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 10:44 -0500, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

> The commercial tools for classifying deeper than header info a la netflow
> are out there already, although they may not be as "slick to deploy" as
> netflow (which brings its own challenges) by turning on knobs in software on
> existing routing equipment.  The limitation is how motivated is the business
> to deploy the gear, not whether viable equipment exists for exactly that
> purpose..

And which kind of gear is this, except for boxes which need a mirror of
the complete traffic ?

There are a couple of NetFlow (9/IPFIX) meters that can additionally to
the normal fields can also pass eg the first 100 bytes of a conversation
in either direction. But those are also meters on a seperate box and not
embedded in the hardware of routers (or is there anything I missed ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen