POLL: SPs' IPv6 (tunnel) deployment requirements

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Tue Nov 02 06:00:20 2004

Hi,

(To avoid a lot of spamming on nanog, please send the replies to me off-list and I can summarize, or only to [email protected] if you think it deserves wider attention.)

IPv6 Operations WG at IETF is considering requirements and scenarios for v6-in-[udp]v4 solutions, especially as would be deployed by ISPs.

Unfortunately, there has been rather low amount of feedback from the operators, and we'll need more to find solutions that are actually close to what the operators want.. so, I'm trying here.. Please respond within a week or so.

A couple of questions (no need to answer to all if you don't want to):

1. have you yet made plans how to deploy IPv6 towards
(home) customers?
a/ If yes, have you planned to use (only) dual-stack?
b/ If yes, have you planned to use some form of tunneling?
c/ If yes, using both as appropriate?

[[ The rest are relevant only with 1.b) or 1.c) ]]
2. are you currently using L2TP or some other infrastructure for
IPv4?
a/ Is that adaptable to IPv6 (e.g., by adding v6 support to PPP)?
b/ If yes, would it be a sufficient solution for your needs. If
not, please elaborate?

3. in case L2TP is not done towards v4 customers now, have you
planned or would you be interested in deploying v6 tunneling
towards customers?
a/ for free? (added value, competitional advantage, etc.)
b/ for a fee?

4. what would be your requirements for 3)? Please elaborate a bit.
For example, are some (which ones?) of the following relevant:
- need to be used for own customers only
- authentication based on IP addresses or similar
- must it be capable to offer service to non-customers or roaming
own customers through some registration process?
- capability for doing prefix delegation to the customers
- must work through a NAT (e.g., non-upgraded CPE)
- should be possible to deploy multiple boxes easily
- should be capable of v4-in-v6 tunneling also

5. any other comments or questions?
- shoot!

The two existing requirements documents, for two slightly different problem spaces (first for "easy set-up within your access network", the second "registered, more complicated mode for more extensive use"), are the following:

http://www.v6ops.euro6ix.net/ietf/draft-suryanarayanan-v6ops-zeroconf-reqs-01.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-assisted-tunneling-requirements-01.txt

For a lengthier document describing BB ISP IPv6 deployment options, see:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asadullah-v6ops-bb-deployment-scenarios-01.txt

Feedback on these is also welcome, of course!

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."