Re: Big List of network owners?

  • From: Rich Kulawiec
  • Date: Fri Oct 29 12:30:47 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 10:30:43AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> > I have been looking around, but haven't found it yet.. Is there a text list
> > of who owns what netblock worldwide? ISP/Location/Contact. I am not looking
> > for anything searchable, but rather, a large, up to date list that I can
> > import to a database..
>
> in general, we try not to make life that easy for spammers and scammers

Too late.  Much, much too late.  The spammers/scammers have long since
gotten their hands on all of it.  Whether because it was overtly
sold to them, or covertly sold under-the-table by employees looking
to pick up extra cash, or acquired via other means, they have it.

Moreover, they're managing to get their hands on changes to it (as
incidental experiments with recently-modified data indicate).

Here's one example: $299 gets you a pocketful of CDROMs stuffed with data:

	http://www.promotionsite.net/

There are many more of these, of course, offering various compilations
of data at various prices and in various formats.

At this point, no purpose is served by maintaining the pretense that
this data is private, in any sense.  It would be better for everyone
to simply publish it in a simple format (e.g. one static web page per
doamin or network) so that everyone is on a level playing field.

(As to the comment about registrars locking up more and more data:
evidence is growing that at least a couple of registrars ARE the
spammers they're registering domains for.  Makes sense: if you're
going to burn through thousands of domains, you might as well sell
them to yourself cheaply.)

---Rsk