Re: Network Monitoring System - Recommendations?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Fri Oct 29 02:23:56 2004

I use

 http://snmpstat.sf.net

for bandwidth, links monityoring, router's cpu usage, etc etc; and

http://cricket.sourceforge.net/

for additional parameters.

First (developed in Moscow for few ISP) monitors abd adapted here for
Enterprise (and shows everuything on the single scree, with traffic bars)
300 - 600 links without any problems (using approx 5% of servers cpu);
second allows to monitor non standard parameters), have tickets, reports,
alerts; second is very flexible (even to  flexible).

Btw, we implemented per-usert view (user can open his link and see traffic,
tickets, usage reports etc for HIS link only)
in snmpstat.

(In reality, we use portal based on snmpstat, with few different tools
integrated tiogether, such as Cisco Configuration Repository, ProBIND2 ,
inventory database, alert alias system with archive and so on).