Re: Big List of network owners?

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Oct 28 14:57:49 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:17:14 EDT, Tom Vest said:

> operators. For those 3000+/- you can be reasonably confident that their
> whois data is correct; the other 15.5k actively routed ASNs (much less
> the routed netblocks, and less still the idled ASNs and netblocks) are
> anyone's guess...

Certainly matches up with what my gut feeling was telling me....

And of course, the irony is that those 3K ASNs will probably exchange billions
of packets with us on total autopilot, and I'll almost never need to find the
owner, but the fact that I'm unable to identify who's *really* responsible for
a given specific /24 makes an address in that /24 all the more desirable to the
sort of people who will end up making me look for the /24's owner, when I'd
much rather never have had any conscious knowledge of that particular /24 being
routable at all...