Re: I-D on operational MTU/fragmentation issues in tunneling

  • From: Sam Stickland
  • Date: Tue Oct 19 14:35:24 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Joe Maimon wrote:

Sabri Berisha wrote:

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 11:12:55AM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:

Hi Pekka and others,

Please send comments to me by the end of this week, either on- of
off-list, as you deem appropriate.

With the risk of stating the obvious I would say that normally, PMTUD
should do the trick.
On todays internet everything is more reliable than PMTUD.

How about replacing it completely with something more inband, less prone to firewall breakage?
You mean something like Packetization Layer Path MTU Discovery (PLPMTUD)?

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-02.txt

http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/MTU/pmtud/

Sam