Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

  • From: JP Velders
  • Date: Tue Oct 19 13:38:14 2004

> Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:36:18 +0000
> From: Paul Vixie <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: BCP38 making it work, solving problems

> [ ... ]
> > As it was "in the old days": first clean up your own act and then
> > start pointing at others that they're doing "it" wrong.

> > It's a mentality I see very rarely amongst the larger ISP's who've
> > been part of that 'I' in their name since the very early beginning.

> i found out from verisign that big companies call something
> "innovation" if it hasn't been generally done before and if it
> immediately increases revenue.

> failing the "immediately increases revenue" part, no big company
> will do anything that hasn't been generally done before.

<aol>
And continuing on that road would lead to innovation, how ?
</aol>

> [ ... ]
> i'm pretty depressed at the lack of self regulation among the techiefolk.

Techiefolk are 'commodity' nowadays.
The ones that do care are vastly outnumbered.
(which doesn't mean they should stop caring!)

> or "but my equipment can't do wire speed SAV" or "but BCP38 will not solve
> all DDoS problems single-handedly" are small minded, provincial, and wrong.
> ... it's just "but if man was meant to fly he'd have wings" all over again.

Thinking outside of the box or about "The Greater Good" is something
of a quaint idea nowadays :( Think I'll go dust off my wings... ;D

Regards,
JP Velders