Re: why upload with adsl is faster than 100M ethernet ?

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Fri Oct 15 11:49:50 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> However, the cause can also be rate limiting. Rate limiting is deadly
> for TCP performance so it shouldn't be used on TCP traffic.

Hmm...I'd have to disagree. Are you perhaps assuming a certain threshold
(>100mbps, for instance)?

I use rate limiting for some of my customers, and when correctly
configured (you _must_ use the right burst sizes), you will get the
exact rate specified, TCP or not. However, I've never had to rate-limit
above 30mbps, so perhaps you have some experience that I don't.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.