Re: short Botnet list and Cashing in on DoS

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Wed Oct 13 07:34:05 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, David Barak wrote:

> > and anyone posting from yahoo/gmail/hotmail should have
> > their posting rights immediately revoked because
> > obviouslythey have no claim whatsoever to any critical
> > Network Operations.
>
> You had me until then: has it not occurred to you that
> some of us work for large corporations which would
> rather not make official stands on the topics
> discussed on the NANOG list?  There is a certain
> plausible deniability which is created by using a
> yahoo/etc account.

I have no problem with those using yahoo or hotmail accounts,
to create new email account not associated with actual work
address. But I do have problem if service provider makes it
too easy to create new virtual identities without providing
a way to identify real origin of email. This offers opportunity
for various forms of public forum denial of service attacks.

Two email service providers that do come to mind that offer
this are hashmail and gmail as neither one of them puts ip
address of the user into email headers. As such I consider
anybody posting from email account with one of these providers
to be of very questinable origin and consider his words and
his name in similar way.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks